Last updated: December 26, 2019
The State of California recently approved the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), which is effective January 1, 2020. CCPA grants a “consumer” (defined as any California resident) certain rights regarding the personal information that has been collected by Western National Mutual Insurance Company or any of its subsidiaries (collectively, “Western”) as listed below:
- Western National Assurance Company
- Western Home Insurance Company
- Umialik Insurance Company
- Pioneer Specialty Insurance Company
- American Freedom Insurance Company
- Arizona Automobile Insurance Company
- Nevada General Insurance Company
- Legacy Insurance Services
Using the information that Western has collected about you, allows us to align your needs as a customer with our efforts to continually improve your experiences.
We also utilize a tool called “Google Analytics” to collect information about your use of this site. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit this site, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they used prior to coming to this site. Google Analytics collects the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit this site, rather than your name or other identifying information. We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with personally identifiable information.
As referenced above, cookies are files with small amounts of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer's hard drive.
We do not sell your private information, nor do we make it available to nonaffiliated companies for marketing purposes. We only share your personal information when it is necessary to conduct our insurance businesses, such as utilizing third parties to provide our products and services.
We maintain physical and electronic safeguards to prevent access to your information by people other than employees from Western. We continually assess new technology for protecting information and upgrade our systems when appropriate.
The information below describes specific attributes of CCPA and our privacy policies with respect to it.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers that are California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
You have the right to request that Western disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information with.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- If we sold/disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- Sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased;
- Disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
You have the right to have such information deleted provided that the exceptions laid out by the CCPA do not apply.
You have the right to request that your personal information not be sold to third parties, if applicable.
You have the right to not be discriminated against because these rights were exercised.
Methods for Submitting Requests
As mentioned above, you have the right to request of us to disclose certain information about our collection and use of your personal information. You can exercise this right by submitting a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Visiting our websites at www.wnins.com or www.mylegacyinsurance.com
- Dialing us at (800) 862-6070 if you are a Western National customer or at (888) 793-7888 if you are a Western Home Insurance or Legacy Insurance customer
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information from.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity and confirm the personal information relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. However, we do consider requests made through your password protected account sufficiently verified when the request relates to personal information associated with that specific account.
Categories of Personal Information
We may collect certain information about you in the operation of our business (such as underwriting a risk to charge a fair premium, fairly evaluate a claim and/or allow for premium payments). The personal information collected with the last 12 months generally falls into one of the categories below:
- Protected legal characteristics
- Internet activity
- Geolocational data
- Employment information
- Commercial information
- Audio/video data
- Education information
Sources of the personal information that we collect, primarily come from what you voluntarily provide us (for example when completing an insurance application, providing information on a claim and setting up/making premium payments).
Purposes for Using Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a price quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment. We may also save your information to facilitate policy renewals.
- To provide, support, personalize and develop our websites, products and services.
- To create, maintain, customize and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, transactions and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed
We do not sell or make available your private information to nonaffiliated companies for marketing purposes. We only share information when it is necessary to conduct our insurance business.
Information may be disclosed to insurance support groups that provide data for underwriting and claims purposes. In addition, information may be shared with adjusters, attorneys, auditors, agents or others that we retain to work on your or our behalf or by individuals that you retain, such as body shops or contractors, to work on your behalf. We may disclose claim information to other insurers or other parties during the handling of claims, during litigation surrounding those claims or after claims have been resolved to the extent permitted by law.
Changes to this Policy
This policy is effective January 1, 2020 and will remain in effect except with respect to any changes in its provisions in the future, which will be in effect immediately after being posted on this page.
We reserve the right to update or change this policy at any time and you should check this policy periodically.